Virginia And Maryland Donate Land For Creation Of Federal Capital

1790

The States of Virginia and Maryland donate a 100-square-mile area for the seat of the U.S. government. The first commissioners who are appointed to acquire the property and construct the first buildings name the capital city after the first president. The 100-square-mile plot is designated the District of Columbia. This area includes the City of Washington, Alexandria, Va., and Georgetown, Md. Residents of the newly founded city of Washington, and the existing cities of Georgetown and Alexandria, continue to vote for federal congressional representatives as citizens of either Maryland or Virginia.