First School For The Deaf Opens

1817

Thomas Gallaudet, along with Mason Cogswell and Laurent Clerc, opens the first school for the deaf in Hartford, Conn. The school is called the Connecticut Asylum for the Instruction of the Deaf and Dumb. Today, it is called the American School for the Deaf. Gallaudet’s son, Elliot Minor Gallaudet, runs the school in the early years and opens what today is called the Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center at Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C.