Alexandria Returns To Virginia

1846

The original government buildings constructed are all on the Maryland side of the Potomac River. People living in the portion of the District on the other side of the Potomac seek to rejoin Virginia. In 1846, Congress votes to give back to Virginia thirty-two square miles of land that Virginia donated to the government in 1790. Residents of Alexandria and Arlington counties again become Virginia citizens and are entitled to vote in that state.