Alexandria Returned To Virginia

1846

Although bills have been introduced as early as 1803 to return parts of the District of Columbia not being used by the federal government to Maryland and Virginia, such a bill is not passed until 1846. In this year, Congress votes to give back to Virginia 32 square miles of land that Virginia had donated for the federal capital. Residents of Alexandria and what is now Arlington County, Va., again became Virginia citizens and are entitled to vote in that state.